SYDNEY Nadro players and fans celebrate its IDC victory after a 3-1 win over Rewa at Bonnyrigg White Stadium on Sunday.

Midway Car Rental

Bad reputation gone worse

Opinions / Analysis

NADI Football Association has a well-earned reputation.

And not in a good way.

Following coach Kamal Swamy’s sacking last week, one thing became clear is that the district’s failure lies in the house of cards, top and crumbling.

While in the footballing world, coaches are responsible for training, naming, and making changes, it is anything but with Nadi.

It is learned that the separation of powers is unclear, yet an ordinance, something Fiji Football Association is unaware of.

Was it Swamy’s only job to train, strategize and motivate, and that’s as far as where his work ended?

Power

Cometh the hour, cometh the power.

The powers beyond, believed to have the right to name the team.

If it is what happened, then obviously, the unworthy, and those that had no football knowledge, let the district down and the blame was shouldered by the coach.

Swamy, the district trotting coach had recently stirred up a storm for Nadi’s poor performance in the Digicel Premier League games and the Fiji FACT.

And there were calls for his removal, much of the noise about his incompetence emanated from fans, who were disgust at Kamal’s coaching antics and excuses following the losses.

Lal claim

But if what is learnt on the conflicting powers, then Salen Lal, who was appointed head coach in 2021, after Ravinesh Kumar migrated to New Zealand, faced similar problems, his statements as to why he resigned draws the many comparisons.

Lal said the reason he resigned was because his coaching ethics had been challenged since the team were coached well during training but were not performing at game time.

“I feel that my coaching ethics are being challenged by doing my best with the team during training, but things are not working out during game time.”

Lack of leadership

For one thing is clear, Nadi hadn’t been a model organization since the departure of president Navneeda Goundar.

Under the former district rep’s leadership, the district had won the titles and the hearts of the fans.

For it is said, success breeds success after all.

But in the year’s following, less football know-how’s have been running the organization, easily influenced, manipulative and self-centered, who are bad for the sport.

Toma Time

Now, it’s Viliame Toma’s moment in time back as head coach.

Toma was appointed coach last year following Lal’s exodus.

He had garnered mixed results in the 3 DPL games, Nadi ended Labasa’s unbeaten run with a 1-0 win, drew Navua 1-1 and lost to Rewa 3-1.

Toma was unceremoniously let go ahead of the 2022 football season by Swamy, who carried out the firing on the behest of the association.

Sponsor Influence

Following Nadi’s dismissal league performance, and under, All in One Builders, owner and sponsor Sulendra Raj, Toma was talked into returning to assist Swamy.

And now the tide has turned on Swamy, the very people who vested their trust in him, showed him the exit door.

Speaking through a friend, Swamy said he will wait for the right time to make a statement, added he has had offers since he was let go.

“I will come to know about my next move soon”.

And only time will tell what the future holds for Toma.

Remember for Nadi, habits are hard to break, and as the cliche goes, coaches are only hired to be fired could come full circle again.

meter for a website